Reactivation of Nebraska Law Enforcement Certification
If you were a Nebraska certified law enforcement officer who due to voluntary resignation or service connected retirement is no longer employed as a law enforcement officer or exercising law enforcement powers, you will need to meet the following standards to return to active status (Title 79, Chapter 4).
- Meet the minimum admission standards required for certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Nebraska and testify on a Character Affidavit that no acts or events have transpired in your life that would affect your certification and agree to continue to abide by the Code of Ethics. You cannot have had your certification revoked or suspended and cannot be under current disciplinary suspension.
- Be employed full or part time in the State as a law enforcement officer as defined in State Statute 81-1401. Your agency must submit a Change in Status Form.
- Have the employing agency submit a $100 processing fee, Application for Training and verification that the agency has conducted a thorough background investigation on the person in accordance with the provisions of Title 79, Chapter 8. Four new fingerprint cards must be submitted.
- Complete the following training standards to return to active status based upon the length of time spent on inactive status:
1 day to 30 days inactive: no training standards required
31 days to 2 years: completion of the State handgun qualification course, possession of a valid CPR/First Aid card
2 years to 10 years: completion of the Council approved Reactivation (Reciprocity) certification training course
After July 31, 2015, more than 10 years inactive: completion of basic certification training program
- Submit a certification activation fee (to be set by the Council on an annual basis) upon successful completion of the course.
- A new medical exam is required for anyone needing to take the Reactivation/ Reciprocity or basic certification courses. Click here for the form with instructions, or click here for the form without instructions.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform certain physical tasks as explained here.
Applicants will not be required to show transcripts from their academy experience nor submit prior dates of employment, duty assignments or other information requested in Title 79, Chapter 3, section 004.04.
If accepted into the program, tuition fee of $572 is due before the start of the on-line program. Tuition is non-refundable.
Course details can be viewed under the course description found under the Training Tab. Before graduating from the course, students will need to show proof of having completed NIMS 100, 200, & 700, SFST Course, Radar certification, and have taken a basic HAZ MAT course. NLETC can provide training in SFST, Radar, and HAZ MAT that will be conducted during a Basic training course. Dates can be found on our website training calendar.
All paperwork must be completed by the registration deadline of the online training program.
Please contact us for further information or an application packet.
Information and applications may be obtained by contacting the NLETC at 308-385-6030 or Molly.Teter@nebraska.gov.
For specific question regarding applicant eligibility or admission standards into this program contact Mark.Stephenson@nebraska.gov.