This site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Monday, November 18, between 0730 and 0830. There may be some interruption of service on this site, and the NLETC Online Forms in NCJIS will be unavailable. Thank you for your understanding.
LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER RECIPROCITY CERTIFICATION
If you are a certified law enforcement officer from a state other than the State of Nebraska and desire to gain certification as a law enforcement officer in Nebraska, you will need to apply for, be admitted to and successfully complete the Reciprocity course. You cannot obtain Nebraska certification if your certificate has been revoked, suspended or is under current disciplinary review. If you have questions about your certificate’s status, please call the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center (NLETC) (308) 385-6030.
In order to obtain Nebraska certification you must first apply for the program. You will need to meet all of the standards as outline in Title 79, Chapter 3 and Chapter 8. To apply for the program at a minimum, you must have:
- Graduated from a basic certification academy and received a law enforcement certification
- Provide a copy of certification or license must be submitted with application
- Training, education and or experience that meets or exceeds Nebraska’s basic certification training (this can include continuing education hours)
- Completed the curriculum comparison
- Submitted your basic training curriculum, any additional certificates and relevant experience
- Been employed for a minimum of 180 consecutive days as a full or part time law enforcement officer (reserve or auxiliary status not eligible)
- Submitted the dates of employment from ALL previous law enforcement agencies
- Been employed as a full or part time law enforcement officer within the preceding two years (reserve or auxiliary status not eligible)
- Submitted letters from previous law enforcement agencies listing dates of employment
- Left previous law enforcement agencies in good standing
- Provide letters from previous law enforcement agencies stating you left in good standing.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform certain physical tasks as explained here.
- Submitted a non-refundable processing fee of $100.00
In addition to the requirements above, please submit all forms for admission into the Reciprocity certification course to complete the application process. To request fingerprint cards email Molly.Teter@nebraska.gov
If all of the preceding actions are completed, the next step for admission to the program is to take the Admissions examination. This is a comprehensive, written exam which is based on common law enforcement practices. There is a fee of $100.00 to sit for the exam. An applicant has two opportunities to pass the exam. If an applicant fails to pass the admission exam he/she will be required to attend the full basic course in order to obtain Nebraska certification.
The cost for the course is outlined on the Fees/Tuition tab on the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center website.
The Reciprocity Course is a shorter course than the full basic course. The course requires you to attend classes on site at the NLETC for approximately four weeks. Also during that time, there is on-line course work that the student must complete. Failure to complete all training requirements will result in the student being required to attend the full basic course. The course is offered twice in the calendar year, once in January and the other in the fall.
All application paperwork must be submitted to the NLETC within 60 days of appointment as a law enforcement officer with a Nebraska law enforcement agency. If applying as a non-law reciprocity candidate all documentation must be submitted no later than 120 days before the start of Reciprocity program.